In-home Caregiver Program

In-home Caregiver Overview

The Live-in Caregiver Program's goal is to bring qualified workers to Canada to work as a live-in caregivers when there are not enough Canadians to fill the available positions. The Live-in Caregiver Program allows professional caregivers to work in Canada. Caregivers are individuals who are qualified to work without supervision in a private household providing care for children, elderly persons or people who have disabilities. The live-in caregiver must live in the employer's home.

This program has certain categories from the other program that would allow the live-in caregiver to be eligible to apply as a permanent residence after working or completing their 24 months of authorized full-time employment within four years from their date of arrival. Recently the legislation has approved that after the completion of the 24 months of full-time employment when the live in caregiver are ready eligible to apply for PR. They no longer need to undergo the standard mandatory requirement for a second medical exam.

There are four main requirements you must meet to qualify under the Live-in Caregiver Program:

  • You must have successfully completed the equivalent of a Canadian high school education. This requirement will help to ensure that if you apply for permanent residence after two years as a live-in caregiver, you will be able to succeed in the general labor market.
  • You must have six months of full-time training in a classroom setting OR twelve months of full-time paid employment, including at least six months of continuous employment with one employer in a field or occupation related to the job you are seeking as a live-in caregiver. You may have gained your training or experience in areas such as early childhood education, geriatric care, pediatric nursing or first aid. You may also have completed your training as part of your formal education. This experience must have been obtained within the three years immediately prior to the day on which you submit an application for a work permit.
  • You must be able to speak, read and understand either English or French at a level that allows you to function independently in a home setting.
  • You must have a written employment contract between you and your future employer. The contract defines your job duties, hours of work, salary and benefits. The contract also reinforces your employer's legal responsibilities to you. This requirement helps provide a fair working arrangement between the caregiver and the employer and provides both parties with a clear understanding of what is expected of them.

Can't find an answer to your question?

If you are looking to come to Canada, for Permanent residence, employment or studies, we can assist you. Contact us for a FREE ASSESSMENT

    Call Now